Thursday, March 13, 2008

Meeting Jodi Picoult, New York Times Best Selling Author

March 10, 2008, was s a very special day.  The Junior Women’s Club of Ridgewood, NJ and Bookends Bookstore, also of Ridgewood, were sponsoring an author luncheon and benefit at Seasons Restaurant, Washington Township, featuring Jodi Picoult, to launch her next bestseller, “Change of Heart”, with the proceeds to benefit local women’s and children’s charities.

Since first being introduced to Jodi Picoult’s work through my suitor’s sister, Gail, and reading, “My Sister’s Keeper”, “The Pact”, Nineteen Minutes, and “The Tenth Circle”, I’ve been mesmerized by the riveting real life dramas Ms. Picoult writes about.  These are not sleeper books by any stretch of the imagination.  My experience has been that whether I agree or not about the topics at hand, or even understand the complexity of the human drama that unfolds across the pages of her books, I’ve been swept up by the dilemmas presented.  Those who know me personally know that once I’m caught in the throes of a good book it may be the wee hours of the morning before my lamp gets turned off.  And, so it is with Ms. Picoult’s books.  You can’t put them down.

As an author myself with only one book under my belt, so far, I marvel at Jodi Picoult’s literary proliferation.  Even though she writes fiction and I, non-fiction, I can still appreciate the writing process and her mastery at producing such compelling and provoking work.

When I drove up to Season’s, several car attendants were standing out in the street directing the incoming cars to an ancillary parking lot a quarter mile down the road.  This was because the event was sold out and the parking lot was full.

This little glitch thankfully went smoothly, and I still arrived with plenty of time to connect with Ms. Picoult’s publicist.  I’d arranged for a five-minute quick interview with Ms. Picoult at the end of the event and didn’t want to miss connecting for that.

After reading, “The Tenth Circle” last year about a young girl who was raped, I emailed Jodi Picoult and briefly shared my own story and recovery from being assaulted in my home in 1979 and that I’d written my experience in a book, “Nice Girl’s Don’t Get Rape”.  She emailed back with a very personable, touching, and encouraging response.  I was so grateful, thus when I learned she was coming to Ridgewood, NJ, and that it was her only appearance in NJ, I knew I wanted to be there and meet her in person, if possible. 

Upon walking into the large, event room I felt lucky at seeing that my table, #28 was just across from the podium and also near the exit for her departure.  Had I been in the back of the room, which was rows and rows of tables beyond me, I might not have had the immediate access to her I wanted. 

Seeing over five hundred women who were all Jodi Picoult fans filling the room to the gills was something to behold.  It made me wish I too were part of a group of friends as many women had come together and were making the day a real celebration.  One lady on the shuttle I spoke with received her ticket as a birthday gift.  Grace, the lady who sat next to me at the luncheon table, also received her ticket as a birthday gift from her daughter, Marie, who sat next to her. 

When Jodi Picoult got up to speak, all eyes were riveted on her.  She shared her life as a writer with a husband and three children, and talked about writing her various books.  She told us how she lived with an Amish family for a week while working on “Plain Truth”.  And how she came across privileged information at Columbine while doing her research on “Nineteen Minutes” about a school shooting.  She even shared how she sweet-talked her way into a prison in Arizona (most people are trying to sweet-talk themselves out of prison) for her research on “Change of Heart”, the book she was launching at the luncheon.

One highlight of the day was during the Q & A part and I got to ask a question.  I had read that it took Jodi longer to find an agent than it did to get her book published and since that is where I am in my process – finding an agent- I asked an agent question.  Her answer was yes, it’s challenging and that writing a book is even harder today than it used to be but to keep at it.

Most of my questions were answered during the question and answer period, so by the time I got to my interview with her, we mostly just did a photo.  But, it was during that time that I reminded Ms. Picoult that I was the one who had emailed about my experience and the book I’d written and that I was trying to finish work on my second book about women speaking up.  Ms. Picoult replied with an affirming nod and a smile, “stay with it – you can do it.”

Brimming with yes, I can do this enthusiasm and beaming ear to ear as I reflected on my charge from Ms. Picoult, I walked back out to the parking lot and joined a group of ladies standing and waiting for the next shuttle to drive us back to our vehicles.  Ms. Picoult’s limo was in front of us waiting to whisk her off to NYC.  Luckily, I just happened to be in position for a great photo when Ms. Picoult came out and snapped a departing photo of the accomplished New York Times Best-Selling author as she slipped into her limo.  Her parting wave and smile was like a shot of adrenalin and made me more determined than ever to find an agent and complete my book project. 

Indeed, March 10, an exciting, affirming, and inspiring pre-spring day that has set the stage for fulfilling a spring dream.

Until next time... Top Blonde taking the day.

No comments: